Feb 18, 2009

Do you feel a draft?

At work, my boss asks me a lot to draft up verbiage for this or that. Mostly email marketing pieces. Lately it has been bits for websites. These first round pieces aren't good - initially. Keyword sometimes is saying, "rough" when talking about a rough draft. Sometimes he is happy with my draft. Sometimes his feedback makes my 2nd draft 100 times better after I incorporate his ideas with my revisions.

The first draft you should write with your heart and edit later with your head.

I wish I could only harness those days, hours, or short moments when I'm flooded with more ideas than I can comprehend. I can't type faster than the ideas are coming to me. These moments are infrequent because my mind is focused on too many other things.

I recognized when writing Left Standing that when I would get in that right state of mind, that mode, that mood - ideas would come to me and I would keep on going. It wasn't the best material that made the most sense, but you know what - I was writing. Sure beats sitting in front of a computer, staring at a blinking cursor.

That is the point: It is a rough draft, a place to compile your ideas that you want to formulate into a sentence later.

With writing, you can cut, move, add pieces to form a picture. You are creating something from nothing. Go with your instincts. Don't be afraid to write something bad.

No comments: