Dec 28, 2009

The Write to Blog

Disclaimer, warning, etc.: Yes, this is a blog about blogging.

Blogs (aka Web logs) have been around for the main part of this decade. They've changed the political & news landscape substantially. Learn more on Wikipedia's blog page.

Depending on your blog platform (Blogger, WordPress, TypePad) one of many benefits of the Internet is the ability to publish your writings, thoughts, ideas, etc online. Best thing is, most of these blog platforms are free to use - and for many, easy to use!

I started my personal blog back in 2004 with the intention of writing every day (yes, you may chuckle at that thought), however - more than 1,000 blogs later - I'm still posting things at random. I finally got over posting my weekend updates of telling the world about my laundry chores and focused more about the odds & ends of life in general. After all, I want my blog to be one people read & come back to.

There was no specific reason I chose Blogger for my personal blog or this writer's blog. I have played around with WordPress, but I'm most familiar with Blogger.

Theme/Focus:
Whereas my personal blog is random information about my life, this blog's core topic is writing & the craft of writing.

Sticking to a theme is important for search engine rankings as well as your audience. What kind of readership would you target with your blog?

Reasons Writers Should Have Blog:
A place to write, if for no body else but yourself
A place to hold your writings for others to read, comment, & critique
A place to publish your writings with the very off chance of getting noticed (some blog writers have gotten book deals based on their blog posts)
A place to comment on other's blogs
A place to hold contests, promote your book, & promote yourself
More...?

Also...
As a writer, I'm able to find blogs by literary agents that allow me to get the inside scoop as to what they see & what they are looking for.

Other writers post tips & tricks as to their writing habits that we can all learn from.

So... if you are a writer & you don't have a blog, I encourage you to create on, get some followers, & publish thoughts thoughts. You never know who might stumble across it and notice your talent. Case in point: Break Up Babe (blogger to author).

Check out this writer's blog:
Tosca Lee's Toscology blog



Writers Bookstore:
Books on Blogging

No comments: